[Scons-users] Fwd: Problems with SCons building MongoDB C++ Driver

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Aug 7 18:59:31 EDT 2014

Hi Andrew,

On 07.08.2014 17:02, Andrew C. Morrow wrote:

> Hi Bill -
>
> Brian actually already did ping us over on the mongodb-user list:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mongodb-user/2tr8AWdfHtI
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/mongodb-user/2tr8AWdfHtI>

I had a short look at the thread right now.

> We are as puzzled as he is. I've never seen the Configure part of the
> build fail in this way. The minimal SCons linked in the mongodb-user
> group post works for him, but the same logic fails in the context of
> the larger SConstruct for the mongo C++ driver.

Another thing to try would be to switch the Configure steps, so let it
check for the C compiler first...and then the CXX test. Does the C check
run successfully then? I'm not a Windows guy and have no clue either,
but maybe a relative "cd ..." command in vcvars*.bat changes the current
working directory? So, after the first Configure check SCons is not in
the folder it's supposed to be anymore.

Other things that come to my mind:

- Try with the latest SCons version v2.3.2 from the development repo.
- Replace the "tools=['default',...]" list in the constructor of the
Environment with the absolute minimum for C/CXX compiling:
     tools=['mslink','msvc','mslib','msvs']
   (not sure about the last one). Maybe some tool is going havoc and
creating problems when loaded.
- Does the user have any D tools installed (dmd, gdc, ldc)? Support for
these has been added only recently, so maybe it's the combination of
D+VS2013 that mixes things up.

Regards,