[Scons-users] How to restart a scanner if it cannot provide all dependencies.

Michael Hasling Michael.Hasling at synopsys.com
Tue Apr 8 04:24:21 EDT 2014

Hi Dirk,

Thanks for your response. (My delay is explained by the enthusiasm of my company's mail filters - I had to look for your reply in the archives instead!)

> As a result, when the target "a.o" is visited next time

> to check whether all of its children (=dependencies) are up-to-date,

> "a.cpp" gets rescanned. And with this also "a.h" and (since it now

> exists) also "b.h", where the latter might add new implicit dependencies

> to the target.

That's interesting. I agree that if SCons is doing what you describe then there's nothing special about 'compilers' that are implemented in interpreted languages and it should just work. However, it doesn't seem to be what is happening, so I think I'll need to go away and put some more debug around our builder and scanner to see if I've been missing something obvious.

I'll post here once I've got some more details (or a confession) but as this is not currently a significant issue there might be a further short silence before I'm able to follow-up.

Best regards,
Michael