[Scons-users] Batch building includes unchanged targets

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Fri Oct 25 17:26:01 EDT 2013

Sean,

On 25.10.2013 21:33, Sean Houghton wrote:

> I guess "batch building" is an overloaded phrase. In my experience

> batch building means processing a set of independent items that all

> share a common processing pipeline. In my case I'm submitting the

> items to be built to a distributed build system that does a better job

> scheduling if it knows about all of the items up front rather than one

> at a time.

this sounds very interesting. Which distributed build system are we
talking about? And if you already seem to have a good way of building
things, which role do you want SCons to play?

> What's the purpose of the targets="$CHANGED_TARGETS" parameter?

> There's no documentation on the batch building so I'm trying to learn

> all I can by following the MSVC builder in the source.

Yeah, documentation about this is scarce and I'd have to dig into the
source code now to give you a correct answer. The MAN page lists all the
reserved variables (like CHANGED_TARGETS) with a short explanation of
each...

> I'm looking at possibly using Node.changed() to skip processing

> source/target pairs that haven't changed since the last build. This

> looks promising but I don't like bypassing the built in behavior if I

> don't have to.

I don't think you'll have to hack around in the core like that. From
what I understood so far, this is exactly what "$CHANGED_TARGETS" is
for...picking and processing only the targets that aren't up-to-date and
need a rebuild.

Regards,