[Scons-users] Listing all dependent headers?

Andrew C. Morrow andrew.c.morrow at gmail.com
Sun Oct 20 13:34:52 EDT 2013

I have a C++ header file that is intended for end user consumption, which
in turn depends on many other headers. Part of our build process is to
install this header and its dependencies to an install directory. But
sometimes the hand-rolled list of dependent headers becomes out of date.
I'd prefer that this list be auto-generated so it can no longer become
stale.

I'd hoped that I could easily get the first level of required headers by
saying:

requiredHeaders = SourceFileScanner(env.File("user/facing/thing.h"), env)

And then recursively applying SourceFileScanner to the returned required
headers. However, 'requiredHeaders' always comes back from the above call
as the empty list.

Any idea why my call to SourceFileScanner above doesn't work? Is there a
better way to approach this problem? It seems pretty clear to me that SCons
can/does know what headers thing.h depends on, but I'm just not sure how to
get that information.

Thanks,
Andrew