[Scons-users] SCons as a library

Matias Iturburu matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com
Fri Oct 11 10:40:41 EDT 2013

2013/10/11 Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>

> On the general topic of using Sapphire as a library (i.e. directly from an

> existing python process), it was never really a design goal for SCons to

> work that way; it's optimized as much for people who don't know a lot of

> python as it is for python experts (though we've tried to make it useful

> for both constituencies of course). That said, if you look in

> SCons/Script/Main you can see how the main script bootstraps itself, reads

> the SConstruct, and starts the build. Getting in at that level is

> DEFINITELY not supported, but I believe it can be integrated at that level.

> But don't forget that just popening a subprocess to runs SCons is going to

> be way, way, simpler.

This is the answer I was expecting.
One thing I was fearing was that by relying too much in the SCons-Way® we
lose some python goodness.
One thing we wanted was to make our program a proper python package and get
some third party libraries into play, namely apt and pacman bindings.
Anyway. Considering the elements given into play during this thread we'll
maybe end up just embracing SCons and work around the needs for third party
libraries in some way.

Thank you all for the kind feedback.

> On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 7:35 AM, Matias Iturburu <

> matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com> wrote:

>> 2013/10/11 Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>

>>> Matias,

>>> After a brief look at your code and builders, I think you've not really

>>> grasped how builders should work in SCons.

>>> If you're using subprocess in a builder, you are likely doing something

>>> wrong.

>>> http://www.scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools

>> Really interesting. Thanks for the pointer.

>>> Hope this helps,

>>> Bill