[Scons-users] SCons as a library

Matias Iturburu matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com
Fri Oct 11 07:35:37 EDT 2013

2013/10/11 Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>

> Matias,

> After a brief look at your code and builders, I think you've not really

> grasped how builders should work in SCons.

> If you're using subprocess in a builder, you are likely doing something

> wrong.

Yeah, I feel the smell. It's the main argument in favor of a major refactor
of fbuild.

> I suggest you read the following: http://www.scons.org/wiki/ToolsForFools

Really interesting. Thanks for the pointer.

> Hope this helps,

> Bill

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM, Bill Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com>wrote:

>> On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 10:30 PM, Matias Iturburu <

>> matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com> wrote:

>> Any comment on this question?

>>> Many users have added such logic to their SCons implementation with

>>> Can you point me to some example? You are talking about in a forks? I

>>> don't want to maintain my own SCons version...

>> No I am not talking about a fork.

>> Take a look here: http://www.scons.org/wiki/SconsRecipes#Testing

>> There are many examples of builders for running various tools there. None

>> of which require forking SCons.

>>> Right.

>>> For instance. In fudepan, fbuild keeps track of the fundation's

>>> projects, so any newcomer can download fbuild and say *fbuild targets*and it will list the projects available to him, he can then download it

>>> with *fbuild myproject:checkout* and run its unittests with *fbuild

>>> myproject:test* and so on...

>> Still not sure why you can't do this with vanilla SCons and some of your

>> own builders.

>> And perhaps a few aliases..

>> -Bill

<http://www.tallertechnologies.com>
Matías Iturburu
Software Engineer

*San Lorenzo 47, 3rd Floor, Office 5
Córdoba, Argentina

*
*Phone: +54 351 4217888 / +54 351 4218211
Skype: matias.iturburu*