[Scons-users] Tool specification `exists()` not called?

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Thu Oct 10 11:49:03 EDT 2013

Oops, sorry about that, pressed Send too quickly.

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM, Márcio Faustino <

> marciombfaustino at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Actually I just noticed that although it doesn't get called, SCons still

>> checks the module defines an "exists". If I remove it:

>> File

>> "c:\python27\lib\site-packages\scons-2.3.0-py2.7.egg\scons-2.3.0\SCons\Tool\__init__.py",

>> line 99:

>> self.exists = module.exists

Yes, there are lots of cobwebs in the tool code. A simple exists() called
the way it is now is almost useless in most situations, since it's called
(if at all) before anything has had a chance to configure the tool, select
compiler version, or anything. The new tool subsystem will have to revamp
the interface a tool presents to the rest of the system pretty
substantially.

--
Gary