[Scons-users] Handling of dependencies using Scanner()

Henry Gomersall heng at cantab.net
Thu Oct 10 05:19:54 EDT 2013

Hi List,

I've built a tool for handling Jinja templates. As part of this, I've
made a Scanner that inspects the jinja templates and extracts the files
that it depends upon (it acquires with include or extends).

I've added the Scanner to the environment, and with suitable print
statements I can observe the scanner in operation, and note that it is
successfully extracting all the filenames (from which the node list is
created and returned).

The question is this: Once the nodes on which the current node depends
are extracted and returned by the scanner function, I would expect those
nodes to be part of the dependency tree - that is, modifications to
those nodes would trigger a rebuild of the dependent file. This does not
seem to be happening with me.

I can only assume that there is an additional step to make the nodes
part of the dependency tree. To be clear, I don't need to explicitly
build those nodes that are returned from the scanner function, just that
modifications to those nodes causes a rebuild.

Some clarification on this would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

Henry

p.s. Apologies if this email comes twice, my scons-users list
registration was with my old email address which I needed to update.