[Scons-users] SCons as a library

Matias Iturburu matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com
Thu Oct 10 01:30:34 EDT 2013

>>> https://code.google.com/p/**fudepan-build/<https://code.google.com/p/fudepan-build/>

>>> FuDePAN (http://fudepan.org.ar/).

>>> The tool has grown over the years and itself has its number of design

>>> mistakes sort of defeating the purpose of using SCons.

>>> [...]

>>> Do you guys knows of something that already does that? or some other

>>> comment about the project?

>> can you possibly tell which functionality exactly is missing in SCons,

>> and that you have to add or provide with your own fudepan-build tool? Maybe

>> it could be added to either SCons or Parts (Did you already have a look at

>> the latter? Visit http://parts.tigris.org/ )...just as an idea.

> Haven't seen Parts. Really interesting.

> I think is not a matter of things that are missing in SCons as much as

> things that SCons should not be doing, like checking out my (or my

> organization's) project from its repo, running unittests or coverage

> metrics against my project, running static analysis tools. Actions that

> doesn't have to do with actually building the project but with giving new

> members a faster ramp up and formalizing the organization workflow.

> Not sure why you think that SCons should not be doing those tasks.

> Many users have added such logic to their SCons implementation with great

> success.

Can you point me to some example? You are talking about in a forks? I don't
want to maintain my own SCons version...

> It's likely that you just don't want SCons to do those items by default

> (without explicitly asking for them to be run).

Right.
For instance. In fudepan, fbuild keeps track of the fundation's projects,
so any newcomer can download fbuild and say *fbuild targets* and it will
list the projects available to him, he can then download it with *fbuild
myproject:checkout* and run its unittests with *fbuild myproject:test* and
so on...

Does Parts works like that?