[Scons-users] SCons as a library

Matias Iturburu matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com
Wed Oct 9 10:36:03 EDT 2013

Hello list.

At work I'm maintaining a build tool based on SCons, fudepan-build (
https://code.google.com/p/fudepan-build/).
It's been used quite a lot for a number of projects and every project in
FuDePAN (http://fudepan.org.ar/).

The tool has grown over the years and itself has its number of design
mistakes sort of defeating the purpose of using SCons.

For once, we have one big SConstruct that does a number of settings, and we
tell every project to write its SConscript, looking for those recursively
on every project and loading every dependency having one godly *env* object
that we pass around during the whole procedure.

So we are planning to do a major reorganization of the project and one
thing we want to do, considering backwards compatibility would not be a big
deal is to decouple our tool and SCons in someway. Allowing the projects to
be run in a more "vanilla" way.

So we are thinking how our package can depend on SCons and ask for it to be
installed via pypi via install_requires and that kind of common python
dependency handling. And, more importantly, how can SCons be run from a
python script without relying on subprocesses or things like that.

Do you guys knows of something that already does that? or some other
comment about the project?

Thanks in advance.

--
<http://www.tallertechnologies.com>
Matías Iturburu

*San Lorenzo 47, 3rd Floor, Office 5
Córdoba, Argentina

*
*Phone: +54 351 4217888 / +54 351 4218211
Skype: matias.iturburu*