[Scons-users] Doing a build time Glob()

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Thu Nov 28 14:49:59 EST 2013

Hi,

On 28.11.2013 17:05, Marc Branchaud wrote:

> On 13-11-28 04:04 AM, Pico Geyer wrote:

>> [...]

>> This is one of my top frustrations when using SCons to run external

>> (non-SCons) builds. AFAIK there is no built-in way to do what you ask.

>> SCons desperately needs to know about every file it deals with: Either the

>> file is an original source (that exists in the "clean" project) or SCons

>> knows how to build the file.

but isn't this true of every build system? If you tell "make" to install
a file, you either have to add a rule that tells it how to create the
source, or the file has to exist already. Otherwise you get a "don't
know how to create xyz" error, and this is what I'd expect from a decent
build tool.
This the kind of information that you have to pull in to SCons, when you
use external programs to build parts of your project. So, you have to
either explicitly specify all single external targets (if you don't do
this, you might miss file naming errors that you actually would like to
catch), or switch to SCons completely. ;)

Just my 2 cents...