[Scons-users] Need to reduce the compiler command line

Pico Geyer picogeyer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 04:18:26 EST 2013

On 02 Nov 2013 10:17 AM, "Gouru, SrinivasReddy CCS" <
Srinivas.Gouru at fs.utc.com> wrote:

> Hi

Hi Srinivas
Some responses and questions inline.

> I am using scons as my build Tool.

> While am Link a variant directory I am getting an error like “Specified

path is too long”.

> In that directory I need Link 308 files to make a Library. I found that

while linking all 308 files with full path names, the command line path is
exceeding the limits.

> To link the Directory am using a command:

> ARCOM = "$AR $ARFLAGS -output=$TARGET $SOURCES"

> $SOURCES taking all the source file names along with the path.

> How to overcome this problem?

> I compiled the variant directory by command line by giving the only

object files names as sources. But for that we need to PUSH the directory
to variant directory.

> I have 2 questions.

> 1) How to replace $SOURCES to give only .obj files names to ARCOM.

> 2) How scons compile the code. i.e while compiling the variant

directory, Does it move to the variant directory and compiles or it
compiles from the current directory only.

> Why am asking the above question is if we give only .obj names to ARCOM.

While compiling the variant directory we need to be in variant directory
only.

The way I understand it, is that SCons by default runs all build commands
from the root directory (the directory containing your SConstruct file).
So that's probably why SCons is using absolute paths.

Am I correct in assuming that you're on Windows?
If so I'd suggest you see this page:
http://www.scons.org/wiki/LongCmdLinesOnWin32

I had a case where even the above solution did not help (Trying to link
thousands of object files). In which case I had to resort to building many
smaller library files and then linking them all together at the end which
resulted in a pretty short command line. Perhaps something for you to
consider?
I think scons has options to build commands from an alternate directory,
though I've never played with it too much.
Perhaps someone else will chime in.

Regards,
Pico