[Scons-users] Dependencies, preprocessed header files, et al

Mark Holloway hollowaymr at hotmail.com
Fri May 31 06:57:56 EDT 2013

Sorry, I forgot to comment on Tom's suggestion (the extension idea).

If I understand the nature of SCons correctly (and this is very open to debate) I don't think this addresses my header dependency problem.

I'd love to get some validation of my understanding that:
1) When the compilation task is created (but not executed) it scans at that point the file for header dependencies.
2) As my obfuscation tasks have not yet been executed, the files will not exist to scan for dependencies - this is my understanding of the common problem with generated header files.
3) On a subsequent run, when I've changed a header file, the compilation task will not execute as none of it's apparent dependencies have changed.

I have considered whether I should be trying to:
1) Muscle my obfuscation builder into doing the scanning of the source files and adding the relevant dependancies. It was not clear to me whether I could leverage the existing code in SCons which is already doing that for the compilation builder.
2) Whether I could somehow persuade/wrap the compilation tool to scan the original file for dependancies.

The thing which troubles me about the former is that compiler settings (defines, etc) would not be taken into account. The thing which troubles me about both is they sound difficult given my current scons level :)

Thanks again,
Mark