[Scons-users] Copy command

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Wed May 1 05:18:03 EDT 2013

It's basically a messy script that does something like this:

env.Command(target, [ source1, source2, ... ],
[ '$SOURCES[1]',
Copy(some_other_file, 'file_generated_by_$SOURCES_1'),
Copy(yet_another_file, '$SOURCES[2]')
'$SOURCES[0] > $TARGET') ]

because $SOURCES[0] needs some_file and yet_another_file to exist.

This is under SCons 2.2 under solaris 10 and AIX 6.1. Note that the targets of the Copy aren't targets of any rule, so don't get automatically deleted, and they aren't necessarily owned by the builder, so can't be written to,

I looked at that script for a while and decided it was a mess and refactored it so that the intermediate files became targets of build rules, and sources of the last rule, and I don't think I'm going to see the problem again.

But I don't think Copy can overwrite a file to which you don't have write permission. I'm not sure whether this is a good thing or not (as it probably means you've done something wrong if you're trying to do this).