[Scons-users] check target must be build / is up-to-date

Philipp Kraus philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de
Sat Jun 22 05:44:17 EDT 2013

On 2013-06-21 01:25:48 +0200, Bill Deegan said:

> I take it that you are removing the downloaded file with your extract

> logic then?

My last answer isn't published yet, so I post it again.

Yes after I have downloaded the files, extract (cand compiled) the
data, I do a clean or remove the downloaded
files manually. So SCons do the correct job, if all is cleaned it
installed the data again.
My dependiecies are shown:

url => downloaded file => extracted files => compiled binary =>
installed binary

So I would like to create a check (?), that if the binary is installed
and the URL is up-to-date, that SCons marked
the targets as "up-to-date". So I need a flag / information which can
store this information.
For my example in detail I download the boost library (actual release
is 1.53). So the URL is known and I installed
the library under my project dir in <project dir>/library/boost/1.53/
So if the URL returns a version and this version exists in my library
dir, there is nothing to do for SCons.

But thanks Bill, your question is the solution. I miss the forest for
the trees, my URL function, that reads the download
URL returns also the version and I need to check if the directory
exsists, if it exists, I need not to create any build calls.

Phil