[Scons-users] intermediate builder step -- wish for no-build when the original files are unch

Jay Damask jaydamask at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 07:09:13 EDT 2013

Dirk Bächle <tshortik <at> gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Jay,

> thanks a lot for your follow-up post. I'll have some more time to look

> into this tonight. For now I have a rather simple question (see below).

> "What happens if you start SCons another time, right after the second

> run and without changing any sources?"

> Is everything up to date then?

> Regards,

> Dirk

Hi Dirk, good morning.

For the dirty second time and each time following, the intermediate step
(protoc) is invoked and the timestamps on the *.pb.* files are updated. Its
the timestamp updates that spoof the code editor into thinking the file is
updated.

This leads to another question, which is: what is the best practice to
observe (user-level) that an Action is invoked? Right now I'm doing an
env.subst() on the $PROTOC_COM in the _protoc_emitter() fcxn. I found this
to be an ok proxy, but not precise. An alternative hack that I did was to
augment the $PROTOC_COM string to include a leading "echo 'action triggered'
&&", which was duly printing to stdout.

Thanks, -Jay