[Scons-users] Dependencies, preprocessed header files, et al

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Sat Jun 1 05:37:11 EDT 2013

On 31.05.2013 12:37, Mark Holloway wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions!

> The idea of using a repository is a novel idea that hadn't occurred to

> me. Foolishly I skipped that chapter, assuming it was something to do

> with source control: somewhat ironic having read the introduction to

> that chapter :)

> I experimented a with the repository idea although if I understand

> the nature of them correctly I'd have to specify them when launching

> scons (-Y) in order for it to pick-up my SConscript files, as calling

> Repository() inside the script would be too late. Of course, I may

> have misunderstood that somewhat. If true, that's messier than I'd

> like as I'm trying very hard to make this as intuitive for the team as

> possible. That said, if I could rig it up in such a way as to only

> require the command line switch for an obfuscated build I might be

> able to live with it.

My idea was to have the three folders "original, obfuscated, build",
with the main SConstruct in "build". You could add a command-line option
to it (see 10.1.5 in the UserGuide), and then define the Repository
pointing to either "original" or "obfuscated", depending on whether the
option is set or not.

Another approach would be to turn this around. You could also have two
main SConstructs, one in "original" and "obfuscated" each, which would
both import the common unchanged files from "build" as a Repository.
Then, no command-line options are necessary, but you have to change into
the corresponding folder first.

I hope this gives you some new ideas.

Regards,