[Scons-users] Problems with env.Install()

Michel Lestrade michel.lestrade at crosslight.com
Fri Jan 25 17:35:11 EST 2013

Bill,

On 25/01/2013 12:15 PM, William Deegan wrote:

> I suggested those flags to help you figure out your problem.

> As I said before without a test case and/or more of your code, it's not easy (or maybe even possible) to help you resolve this issue.

> So if a small test case doesn't replicated the issue, for example a SConstruct, and two SConscripts, one producing a list of files into an env variable, the other installing them somewhere doesn't replicate your issue and does work, then you should look at your code to see how it's different from the small test case. Likely that's where the error is.

> Are you sure your have your Import()'s and Export()'s right?

> How are you invoking your SConscripts..

> -Bill

This project uses LGPL and similarly-licensed code so it was always
intended that the SCons files would be made available at some point.
They are just not very portable (and buggy, obviously) at the moment.
The current version is attached.

I updated my scripts a bit so that the env.Install() is always be done
in the same place as env.Program(): that should eliminate any possible
confusion with paths of the Install() wrt the various variant_dir. The
problem occurs with 2 scripts in the esmumps and scotch sub-folders.
esmumps is build twice (mpi and non-mpi variants) while scotch is built
4 times (static/shared, mpi/non-mpi).

This should mean pthread64.dll gets copied a total of 6 times; instead,
it only shows up in 4 of those 6 folders, without any apparent
differences in the SConscript calls.

> d:\Source\MUMPS_scons>dir /s /b build\scotch64\pth*.dll

> d:\Source\MUMPS_scons\build\scotch64\esmumps\pthread64.dll

> d:\Source\MUMPS_scons\build\scotch64\ptscotch\pthread64.dll

> d:\Source\MUMPS_scons\build\scotch64\ptscotch_dll\pthread64.dll

> d:\Source\MUMPS_scons\build\scotch64\scotch\pthread64.dll

Even two folders with the same input environment do not behave in the
same way. For example, scotch&esmumps share the same environment and
both get the DLL while ptscotch&ptesmumps also use a common environment
but only one of those gets the DLL. Even if I clean and rebuild, it is
always those same folders which get the DLL.

Thanks for the suggestions.