[Scons-users] Command fails if action is simply $SOURCE

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 13:15:45 EST 2013

Hi

I'm trying to set a bunch of scripts as commands which are then
grouped as a single target with Alias. I'm doing something like this

analysis1 = env.Command(target = "result1", source = "script1.pl",
action = "$SOURCE")
analysis2 = env.Command(target = "result2", source = "script2.pl",
action = "$SOURCE")
analysis3 = env.Command(target = "result3", source = "script3.pl",
action = "$SOURCE")

env.Alias("analysis", [analysis1, analysis2, analysis3])

However, this fails. All I get is:

$scons analysis
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
scons: done building targets.

I can make SCons run the scripts if I set the action to "./$SOURCE",
"perl $SOURCE", "$SOURCE --" or anything like that. The files should
have the correct permissions (744). Even if I set $SOURCE to a path, I
get the same problem so shouldn't be a matter of adding anything to
the search path.

Is this a bug in SCons or am I doing something wrong? And is there a
better way to do this?

Thanks,
Carnë