[Scons-users] msvc and "could not detect xgettext"

Philipp Kraus philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de
Sun Feb 24 20:24:28 EST 2013

Am 25.02.2013 um 02:02 schrieb Bill Deegan:

> Phil,

> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Philipp Kraus <philipp.kraus at flashpixx.de> wrote:

> Hello,

> I have installed Scons 2.2.0 under Windows. I create the Environment object with Environment() and Environment(tools=[]) and I would use the MSVC_VERSION item of the env object.

> On tools=[] thsi flag isn't exists, but if I remove the tools option I get "could not detect xgettext", also if I run env.Tool("default").

> Can I use the Environment() call, so that my env object get the default settings without throwing the xgettext error?

> Gettext is a unix tool, why tries scons to detect it on windows, because why throws Scons this exception and eg not "javac not found" (if javac is not installed) ?

> Is your scons source unmodified?

Yes, I have downloaded the source on scons.org and run the package installer

> Here's all the tools SCons should be trying to initialize on win32..

> "prefer Microsoft tools on Windows"

> linkers = ['mslink', 'gnulink', 'ilink', 'linkloc', 'ilink32' ]

> c_compilers = ['msvc', 'mingw', 'gcc', 'intelc', 'icl', 'icc', 'cc', 'bcc32' ]

> cxx_compilers = ['msvc', 'intelc', 'icc', 'g++', 'c++', 'bcc32' ]

> assemblers = ['masm', 'nasm', 'gas', '386asm' ]

> fortran_compilers = ['gfortran', 'g77', 'ifl', 'cvf', 'f95', 'f90', 'fortran']

> ars = ['mslib', 'ar', 'tlib']

> other_plat_tools=['msvs','midl']

is there a verbose output, so that I can check the initialization process?

> Are you by chance using cygwin's python?

Cygwin works well, so the problem exists only on the MSVC command line.

At the moment I use "hard coded" information, so I can use tools=[] with MSVC
the buildprocess works, but I would change this to a more flexible structure.
So I have time to check all solutions :-)

Phil