[Scons-users] Selecting a decider for a node

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Tue Aug 20 05:05:58 EDT 2013

I'm trying to work out a way of attaching a decider (or something to assist making an appropriate decision for a decider) to a node. Having multiple environments as suggested in the manual isn't going to work very well.

We use a tool (purify) that when it runs on a library produces an output file with exactly the same timestamp as the input file, and this can't be switched off. Because we occasionally need to change the way things are built, this effectively means we can't assume an identical timestamp means the file is unchanged and have to depend on the md5 for the file (some of the files are generated from O/S libraries).

And because this can't be done on an individual target basis (there's multiple potential target names so writing a decider that checks the extension would be tricky) we end up using md5 checking on all files, rather than just the ones that are generated by this tool.

Is there any approach that can be taken to mark a node in some sort of flexible way that can be used by a custom decider?