[Scons-users] SCons always rebuilds on Windows

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Mon Apr 29 10:28:35 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:04 AM, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs at altum.de>wrote:

> Am 29.04.2013 15:49, schrieb Dirk Heinrichs:

> Am 29.04.2013 15:25, schrieb Gary Oberbrunner:

>> Could you paste in the output? (It's not supposed to make a difference,

>>> just show the dependency graph.)

>> That's what I meant with "doesn't make any difference". There is no

>> dependency graph, the output is exactly the same as before:

>> O:\Daten\scons_test>scons --tree=prune

>> scons: Reading SConscript files ...

>> scons: warning: No version of Visual Studio compiler found - C/C++

>> compilers most likely not set correctly

>> File "O:\Daten\scons_test\**SConstruct", line 2, in <module>

>> scons: done reading SConscript files.

>> scons: Building targets ...

>> C:/jdks/1.7/jdk/bin/javac.exe -d classes -sourcepath src src\Hello.java

>> scons: done building targets.

> Found it: Changed "\" to "/" in "CacheDir('C:/Temp/build_**cache')" and

> now I get:

> O:\Daten\scons_test>scons --tree=prune -Q

> scons: warning: No version of Visual Studio compiler found - C/C++

> compilers most likely not set correctly

> File "O:\Daten\scons_test\**SConstruct", line 2, in <module>

> scons: `.' is up to date.

> +-.

> +-classes

> | +-classes\Hello.class

> | +-src\Hello.java

> | +-C:\jdks\1.7\jdk\bin\javac.**exe

> +-SConscript

> +-SConstruct

> +-src

> +-src\Hello.java

> But there's still this annoying Visual Studio warning...

> The VS warning is something we're looking into for the medium term (it

happens when you have no MSVS on Windows). For technical reasons it's not
all that easy to get rid of right now without causing other warnings in
different cases.

However, a missing CacheDir should probably generate a warning -- and
shouldn't cause spurious rebuilds. (It's probably happening because SCons
can't create c:\[TAB]emp, and it should tell you that). Please file a bug
report on that.

--
Gary