[Scons-users] compiler detection

Evan Driscoll driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Oct 30 01:08:36 EDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 9:16 PM, Evan Driscoll wrote:

> SCons will always behave the same regardless of how you start it. If

> 'scons' runs the native SCons, it will always use cmd.exe by default

> regardless of whether it is being started under Cygwin or cmd. If

> 'scons' runs Cygwin SCons, then it will always use Cygwin's sh.exe by

> default regardless of whether it is being started under Cygwin or cmd.

> (But see below.)

Actually my rant there, while *mostly* right, has some inaccuracies.
What matters is not where SCons per se came from but rather what Python
is used to run it. So if you install SCons for native Python but then
run it with Cygwin Python, you'll get Cygwin behavior (SHELL is sh and
CC is gcc); if you install SCons for Cygwin Python but then run it with
native Python, you'll get native behavior (SHELL is cmd.exe and CC is
cl). There is no MinGW/MSYS Python (at least as far as I know), so
that's not an option.

I won't be able to do it immediately, but maybe I'll try to write up a
description of the interplay between native/Cygwin Python and SCons and
default setups.

Also, it's easier to run native SCons from a Cygwin shell than I
thought: you just have to explicitly say 'scons.bat' instead of just
'scons'.

Evan