[Scons-users] env.command fails on mingw shell

Evan Driscoll driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 25 17:43:22 EDT 2012

Kraus Philipp: Since you've asked about a couple related things
yesterday and today, it's worth pointing out that only in very rare
cases will a program's behavior change depending on what shell you run
it from. (Provided you're actually running the same program and not just
a program with the same name found in a different place because PATH is
different or whatever.)

Thus the fact that you're running SCons starting from the MinGW shell
doesn't really enter the picture -- it behaves the same as if you were
to start it from the standard Windows shell cmd. This is as it should be
-- e.g. on Linux, why should something behave differently if I run it
from Bash vs Csh vs Zsh?

On 10/25/2012 04:30 PM, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Windows, all Commands are by default executed by cmd.exe. Set

> env['SHELL'] to whatever shell you'd like to use.

It's worth pointing out (even if not completely relevant to *this*
discussion, so that people who stumble across this thread aren't
confused) that the above only applies if you install the "native"
version of SCons -- that is, using a Python that's a native build.

The Cygwin version of SCons (if you install SCons with Cygwin Python)
will use a Cygwin shell.

Evan