[Scons-users] blocking execution until compilation is done

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Mon Oct 8 15:57:11 EDT 2012

I think you miss that in my example I am trying to say you can define two targets.. one to build an item, and one to build and test an item ( ie no script wrapper.. just one target that does both). I think that is what you want. Ideally I have found that if you builds start getting large you will want easy targets for just building, vs the building and running of tests. This is mainly a start up speed issue.

I understand why you want to say a given action should happen in serial, such as tests that are sensitive to threading issues and load on the system. We have this issue here a lot. The trick is to understand that such tests are not deterministic and by simply running on different hardware, and perform differently. I not going to say I have a silver bullet for this, as this is a difficult problem.

I do see that at some point SCons will get a better taskmaster that will allow certain item to run only in serial to help with certain special cases, which other actions can happen in parallel.

Jason