[Scons-users] Intel MPI on Windows; best practices ?

Michel Lestrade michel.lestrade at crosslight.com
Wed Nov 28 15:20:57 EST 2012

Hi,

The problem with CMake and GNU Make is that they do not handle spaces in
file/directory names very well. I had an extremely hard time manually
forcing CMake to use the Intel MPI wrappers; the built-in detect
functions do not work at this time (at least not on Windows). And for
GNU Make, I have to wrap a lot of the paths with "" to solve the
pathname problems which is inconvenient.

Right now, I am building the MUMPS sparse matrix solver which uses MPI
for parallelism. I am new at this but MPI definitely seems to be the
bedrock of supercomputing applications.

If it were only that one project, I would just use the GNU Makefile they
provided but I also need to compile METIS (which uses CMake) and Scotch
(which has tons of dependencies on other projects) to get full MUMPS
functionality. It is hard to have a single sane build system for the
whole thing but I am hoping scons will do it. At the very least, I could
not find a better-recommended multi-platform build system during my
initial search.

Thanks for the help; at least I know I am not doing anything
particularly stupid....