[Scons-users] SConstruct default filename

Kyle J Strand Kyle.Strand at beckman.com
Wed Jun 27 17:11:24 EDT 2012

The man page is an attempt to document every available feature as
completely as possible, while the User Guide is an introduction to using
SCons. Neither is intended to be an "excerpt" of the other; they simply
serve different purposes.

The very first build-related page in the User Guide (
http://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-user/c258.html) says this about
SConstruct files:

Enter the following into a file named SConstruct:

Program('hello.c')

In most cases, I would guess that digging into the scons.bat file (let
alone any of the source code files) is probably more difficult than
rereading the relevant section on the User Guide or searching the man
page.

Kyle Strand, Software Intern
Beckman Coulter, Inc., Life Sciences Division
4862 Innovation Drive, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80525
(970) 204-7036

wrote:

> On 6/25/2012 16:28, Ray Pasco wrote:

> As a newbie I've been stymied by a very basic and crucial ommission in

> the 2.1.0 User Guide.

> What is the default SConstruct filename on win32 and posix

> platforms ? Thsi would be analogous to "makefile" for programs make

> and nmake.

> Without looking at the user's guide I can't comment on how obvious or

> unobvious this is, but the name is "SConstruct". :-)

> Pretty much at the top of the man page it says:

> "By default, scons searches for a file named SConstruct, Sconstruct,

> or sconstruct (in that order) in the current directory and reads its

> configuration from the first file found. An alternate file name may be

> specified via the -f option."

> The man pages don't get installed on non-MinGW win32 systems.

> Until now I didn't realize they were posted online.

> I found the defaults by looking through the python code.

> I hope I won't have to figure out anything else by looking at the

> scons.bat file. :(

> Up until now I'd assumed the man page info was taken from the User

Guide.

> It appears to be just the opposite.

> Thanks,

> Ray

The server made the following annotations

This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and is the property of Beckman Coulter, Inc. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message.