[Scons-users] Is a post-build function possible ?

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Tue Jun 26 13:35:00 EDT 2012

Ray,

On Jun 26, 2012, at 4:00 AM, Ray Pasco wrote:

> On 2012-06-25 10:30 PM, William Deegan wrote:

>> Ray,

>> On Jun 25, 2012, at 6:24 PM, Ray Pasco wrote:

>>> I understand that execution order is random for Program(), Action(), etc., because [sic]. But, is there a way to execute a post-build command or function which is defined within file SContruct ? (This would be similar to the wxPython method CallAfter(). )

>> Order is not random. A DAG (directed acyclic graph) is constructed based on the dependencies, both explicit and implicit.

>> You can use the python atexit to have something done at the end of the SCons run.

>> http://docs.python.org/library/atexit.html

>> Or you can use AddPostAction() to be run after a target is built.

>> (see: http://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.html and search for AddPostAction() )

>> -Bill

> Thanks, AddPostAction looks like what I need.

> I'm just trying to "black box" just the high-level basics of SCons. I should have been more specific: If I create a single environment and then call Environment.Program() twice for two independent targets, wouldn't the actual execution of the Program calls be random despite what order they appear in the SConstruct file ?

Nope. Shouldn't be random.
The algorithm is deterministic as far as I know.
If you run -j anything, it may seem random, but that's likely due to variations in the runtime of the many jobs run.
If you run SCons 10 times without -j, for a clean build, you should (as far as i know) see it do the same compiles in the same order.