[Scons-users] Still trouble using scons with MinGW

Sebastian Gesemann s.gesemann at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 05:27:17 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 8:40 PM, William Deegan wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Sebastian Gesemann wrote:

>> [...]

>> the PATH variable. So, I adjusted the SConstruct file accordingly:

>>   import os

>>   env = Environment(ENV = {'PATH':os.environ['PATH']})

>>   env.Program('test',['main.cpp','linalg.cpp'])

>> which did not seem to help at all. SCons still tries to use the

>> compiler cl.exe even though it does not exist and it should be able to

>> find g++ using the PATH variable. [...]

>> [...]

>> Is there a way of making it work WITHOUT having to hard-code MinGW

>> into SConstruct? This would kind of defeat the purpose of SCons,

>> wouldn't it?

> Are you wishing to use Visual studio if there, and then mingw if no VC?

> Or do you want to use only mingw if you're compiling on windows?

I would prefer to not make this decision for the user. As long as
there is a compiler available which supports a couple of C++11
features and one such compiler is selected automatically, I'm fine
with it. In case there's more than one available that fulfills the
requirements I would prefer to allow the user to decide which tool
chain should be used via some kind of configure option and just go for
VC as default.

> Are you running this from within cygwin? Or other shell?

I don't have cygwin installed. Just plain cmd.exe by Microsoft.

>From what I can tell, this SCons behaviour (picking a non-existent

compiler) is not intended. But I guess that SCons gets confused
somehow by "left overs" of previously installed Microsoft tools. I
recently removed Visual Studio 11 Beta because I found it to be
bloated and annoying.

Cheers!
SG