[Scons-users] [scons-users] Support for Python 3?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jun 12 12:50:35 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-06-12 at 08:09 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[...]

> I was thinking slightly differently: we make one codebase, but (optionally)

> bundle a complete private python of the appropriate version in with the

> deb/rpm/exe/whatever. That way (a) people without python can use it, and

> (b) people with the wrong python can use it. Of course we'd continue to

> have the regular version that uses the system python, as long as it's

> compatible. I get that it's not ideal, and in fact due to DLL hell it

> might not even work (private python3 running in RHEL4? Maybe not.). But

> it's one way to slice it.

I'm not convinced this is the right strategy – bundling a Python version
strikes me as a "code smell".

Mac OS X comes with Python out of the box (2.6 currently, 2.7 and 3.2
available trivially via MacPorts or less so via DMG files). Debian (2.6
with 2.7, 3.2), Ubuntu (3.2 with 2.6, 2.7), Fedora (???), SuSE (???)
have Python installable and the usual install configuration has it out
of the box. With debs and yum files, a package's metadata file specifies
the dependencies and aptitude, yum,… sort it out.

Windows will require people to install a Python if they haven't already,
and…

People know SCons needs Python, so as long as SCons relies only on a
version of Python that the large majority of extant SCons users can work
with we don't have a problem. We can't please all of the people all of
the time, we just have to please as many as we can as much of the time
as possible.

The thread has already made it clear that SCons has to support Python 2
as well as Python 3 in the short and medium terms in order to stay
viable for that large majority of users. The only question remains as to
whether it is feasible to shift the floor version to 2.6. I still
believe yes, but…

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net