[Scons-users] [scons-users] Support for Python 3?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Jun 12 02:36:34 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 18:17 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Nicholas Bastin <nick.bastin at gmail.com>wrote:

> > building software?

> > > I'd say yes, in general. You need to commit to a complete new universe,

> > installing all packages you need. For

> > > example, your system might have a copy of scipy installed

> > (non-trivial...) and you really don't want to repeat that work

> > > just to use scons.

> > There's no reason why scons packages for older distributions can't be

> > a binary that includes the python version they require, properly

> > sandboxed.

> > Hmm, that _is_ an interesting idea. Using pyinstaller or something like

> that, I assume. Could just be an option, kind of like do you want all of

> Java or just the JVM? Do you want a python with your SCons? :-) Actually

> we have some GSoC code to package SCons + python on Windows already (fully

> standalone SCons); it just needs to be integrated.

With Debian and Ubuntu -- and I assume Fedora, SuSE, RHEL, using yum --
you just have to create a deb with all the right metadata, so there is
no problem building a SCons deb for Python 2.6 and 2.7 and one for 3.2
and soon 3.3.

The problem though will be the codebase, unless there are two it will
have to be Python 3 and Python 2 compliant.

A SCons tool for creating debs is clearly something that needs
reviving... I have a plan.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net