[Scons-users] [scons-users] Support for Python 3?

Managan, Rob managan1 at llnl.gov
Mon Jun 11 14:25:57 EDT 2012

Another question worth asking is what do the developer's use. Gary has
answered for himself.
We just had a system update so our workhorse machines are now python 2.6
and scons 2.1.0. But one platform is still at python 2.4.

On my desktop Mac I am running Snow Leopard and therefore python 2.6. My
linux box at home is Ubuntu 10.04 which also has python 2.6.

I will note that users are asking about latex packages that are newer than
I have on any of these machines.

On 6/11/12 10:51 AM, "Russel Winder" <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

>On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 13:33 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

>[...]

>> This is unfortunately the reality of the world. 2.4 is still

>>widespread,

>> and 2.6 is as high as you can realistically go in many situations (even

>>at

>> my work we have to support 2.6). I would not be comfortable raising the

>> floor for SCons past 2.6 for a while to come, and even 2.6 would cause

>>us

>> to lose a certain part of the user base I think.

>The question that really needs to be answered is which version of Python

>are people who actually use SCons using to run SCons. At the moment we

>are talking about RHEL and their inability to upgrade, but are the vast

>majority of SCons users using RHEL? I suspect not. Whatever version is

>being discussed on the Python list does this affect people who are

>running SCons. I suspect not, at least not directly.

Signature--
Rob Managan email managan at llnl.gov
LLNL phone: 925-423-0903
P.O. Box 808, L-095 FAX: 925-422-3389