[Scons-users] [scons-users] Support for Python 3?

Joel B. Mohler joel at kiwistrawberry.us
Mon Jun 11 05:35:34 EDT 2012

On 06/10/2012 12:40 PM, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-06-10 at 11:59 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

>> Greg put a bunch of useful info on this in

>> http://scons.org/wiki/PythonFixers.

> The fundamental principle behind this is wrong in that it assumes a 2.x

> codebase with automatic translation to 3.x on a release by release

> basis. It also assumes a 2.2 base.

> A single codebase either supports both 2.x and 3.x or just one of them.

> 2to3 is a tool for transforming for a transition, it is not a tool to be

> used in the way Greg set out.

I believe you are incorrect on this assertion unless I'm just confused
about what you are saying. In fact, SQLAlchemy does what Greg is
setting out and I can only assume it is successful (I haven't personally
used it on python 3, but SQLAlchemy is so good on python 2 that I'm sure
the python 3 support is not rubbish). See the 2to3 bits of
https://bitbucket.org/sqlalchemy/sqlalchemy/src/setup.py

Joel