[Scons-users] SCons scaleability with 15000 target nodes: 100% cpu but builder *not* invoked?!?

Ringo De Smet ringo.desmet at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 09:15:48 EDT 2012

On 19 July 2012 18:39, William Deegan <bill at baddogconsulting.com> wrote:

> Ringo,

> Does it ever complete? Or doe the CPU goto 100% and then you kill it?

> try: scons --debug=explain

> And see if you get any useful output.

> Can you try this with a much smaller tarball?

> Are you running out of memory on your system when running SCons?

SCons is taking 100% CPU while first determining the state of the emitted
nodes. If I run SCons under strace, I see numerous fstat invocations
passing by. This takes ages and eats all the CPU. Then the builder is
invoked and again I see thousands of fstat invocations. Extracting the
tar.gz (the builder implementation) is only a fraction of the total
execution time.

Ringo