[Scons-users] Silent rules for SCons

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Fri Jul 13 17:30:38 EDT 2012

I think I know what LRN is talking about. As I have more complex redirection rules in Parts and LRN was asking me to clean up some stuff in Parts related to this.

The issue is that a tools can define an action string like:
"Doing this work"
Or if nothing is defined SCons takes the command it is going to run and makes it the string.
What is being asked for is that -s is not really silent, but less chatty. Allow Actions to define a long string and a short string to be displayed so when an options like -s ( or similar) is used it would output stuff like:

[cxx] foo.cpp

Instead of the

G++ -02 -I... <lots of stuff>

That it currently does. I have a some code that can go into SCons to do this.. but I am redoing it to make it better ( after the last few year of experience.. I found a few way to make this better) The main thing is making a setup to allow different strings for actions to be used depending on how chatty we want the system to be.

Jason