[Scons-users] Strage behavior of Alias() method for executables on unix platforms

Alexey Petruchik alexey.petruchik at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 18:26:23 EDT 2012

Hi, everybody. Noticed one strange behavior in scons. He is very simple
test project: https://bitbucket.org/stopiccot/scons_alias_bug2
There are two targets in it. Because of "build" variant dir for building
program I need to write to terminal "scons build/some_program" or "scons
build/libsome_library.dylib" (I'm using mac) to build this targets. I've
added two empty aliases 'some_program' and 'some_library'. And when I write
to console "scons some_library" I get "Nothing to be done for
`some_library'." as expected because I haven't assigned anything for this
alias but for "scons some_program" it actually builds program target as if
I had wrote "scons build/some_program". I should notice that this bug
reproduces only on unix systems. On Windows I get expected "Nothing to be
done for `some_program'.".
I suppose this happens because executable targets on unix systems are only
targets without any prefixes or postfixes (on Windows we have ".exe"
postfix). Any ideas how this could be fixed? I've looked through scons
codebase but I'm not so familiar with it, to get this bug fixed.

Regards, Alexey.