[Scons-users] Request for comment: configuration extension design

Pawel Tomulik ptomulik at meil.pw.edu.pl
Mon Jul 2 17:19:19 EDT 2012

W dniu 30.06.2012 02:04, Evan Driscoll pisze:

> [This message is an almalgamation of a few responses.]

> On 06/29/2012 03:57 PM, William Deegan wrote:

> > Best to stick such in the wiki so others can collaborate on it.

> Good idea.

> I put it up at

> http://scons.org/wiki/EvanEnhancedConfigurationPackageProposal. Feel

> free to rename it and/or link it from somewhere; right now I just linked

> to it from my user page.

> I'm too lazy to format the table so it's just a big <pre> block. There

> should be fewer markup languages. :-)

> On 06/29/2012 04:46 AM, Pawel Tomulik wrote:

>> it seems like I work partially on similar topic. I'm going to make

>> scons command-line similar to make/(auto)configure GNU tools. The

>> variables will be used by packaging facilities I'm currently working on.

>> I also plan to make scons compatible with some external packaging

>> tools, such as Debian's (debhelper and friends).

> How much other overlap is there? Any? Conceivably I could just pull in

> whatever you're writing.

As far as I see, we both are extending the command line. If it's
convenient to you, feel free to get my code, where the command-line
part of install prefixes is already implemented (in "classical way").
You'll find API doc in Downloads section.

> What are the goals of the packaging facilities

> you're writing?

In many projects there is single source tree from which several binary
packages (such as shared libraries, applications, clinets/servers)
are created. The packages may arrive in several formats
(RPM, DEB, ...) for several platforms. It would be great if a developer
could assign precisely certain pieces of its project to separate
packages, and then just "press the button" to generate these packages
in all necessary formats.

I believe, that this can be done by creating single "generic" (format-
independent) object to describe project packaging structure and several
target-specific package generators (plus/with converters from general
object to target-specific ones). That what I'm going to achieve.

My first goal is to get working generator for Debian packages. It shall
initialise Debian packages i.e. prepare minimal debian/* hierarchy,
which will further coexist and interact with scons-based project. For
this interaction a "GNU compatible" command line seems to be the right
way. I hope its initial version will be done in week or two.

I've seen packaging tools in SCons which allow you create source
tarball, rpm package, msi installer and few more. They seem to be
good for simple things such as single package from single source.
Also, they base it's information form SCons install tool, and are
hard to be used in multi-package projects.

Distutils seem to be good for python packages, but as I understand
they're not too well suited for general projects.

Regards!
--
Paweł Tomulik