[Scons-users] "Targetless" Builder ? Or a target that is not accessible via normal command line / file system.

Mark Ribau mribau at realtaentertainment.com
Wed Dec 26 08:06:50 EST 2012

So I want to make a builder whose "target" is practically non-accessible
except via special executables (.exe that talk to a devkit in an "opaque"
way). I have many multiple source files (that are really just targets of
other builders, usually an InstallAs at the end of a series of builders).

I am trying to create a builder that will essentially run one of the
special .exe for Build, and a different .exe for Clean. I would prefer to
not have to generate dummy files for targets for this Builder. I would like
so that modifying the source file would cause the Builder to run correctly.
I had thought that maybe not specifying a target would work, however, I
didn't really see a way to create a custom "should I get built" function,
in which I'd call one of the special .exe and parse it's output.

Has anyone done this sort of thing before and can give some advice?

Additional Info:
There is an .exe to copy file(s) from filesystem drive to remote devkit
drive. (Can do a single file or whole directory. Supports recursion.)
There is an .exe to delete file(s) from filesystem drive to remote devkit
drive. (Can do a single file or whole directory. Supports recursion.)
There is an .exe to dir file(s) from remote devkit drive. (Output is
similar to a standard Windows 'dir' command. Can do a single file or whole
directory or a name pattern. Supports recursion.)
We do not have source access to modify these programs, but we could write
simple wrappers (in Python) for them to make their output more Python
friendly.

Thanks!
*
*
*
*
----
*mark ribau*
*software engineer*
*corp email: mribau at realtaentertainment.com*
*

*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: *This e-mail and any accompanying documents
contain confidential information intended for a specific individual
purpose. This information is private and protected by law. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying or distribution, or the taking of any action based on the contents
of this information, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please delete it. Thank you.