[Scons-users] cache + sideeffect not working as expected ?

Julien Pommier pommier at pianoteq.com
Wed Dec 5 08:09:21 EST 2012

Hi,

I'm a bit puzzled by the behaviour of the cache when sideeffects are
specified. See this very simple example:

import os
CacheDir(os.getenv('HOME')+"/scons_cache")
env=Environment()

env.Command(['foo'], [], 'touch foo && touch bar')
env.SideEffect('bar', 'foo')
Default('foo')

> scons foo && ls

SConstruct bar foo

> rm foo bar && scons bar && ls

scons: Building targets ...
Retrieved `foo' from cache
SConstruct foo

Only foo was retrieved from the cache, bar is not retrieved or rebuilt
while I did ask explicitely for it. Is there something I did not
understand about the meaning of the SideEffect function, or is this a
bug in scons ?