[Scons-users] How important is python 3?

Chris BeHanna chris at behanna.org
Wed Dec 5 02:47:20 EST 2012

On Dec 5, 2012, at 24:04 , Saurabh Bhatnagar <saurabh.b.bhatnagar at oracle.com> wrote:

> -1

> We are on Py2.4 and may move to 2.7 eventually.

> Don't want to rock the boat.

As observed by another earlier, RHEL 5 had my company stuck on 2.4. RHEL 6 only brings that forward to 2.6. This is not an argument against providing support for Python 3, but it is an argument against raising the floor too high, too soon. I don't believe that SCons needs to be locked to RHEL's EoL schedule, but it might be reasonable to at least not elevate the floor beyond 2.6 until RHEL 7 goes into beta. :-)

I note that Matt Mackall (mpm, Mercurial's primary developer), is not at all enthused by Python 3, and thus it's unlikely that Mercurial will work well (if at all) with Python 3 anytime soon.

--
Chris BeHanna
chris at behanna.org