[Scons-users] Switch off detection of Visual Studio version?

Kenny, Jason L jason.l.kenny at intel.com
Fri Aug 31 10:32:48 EDT 2012

I think the current setup is a little broken in SCons. Gary might have a better suggestion oh how to control the setup with MS and Intel compiler. The main issue for me is that when using the Intel compiler, you need to tell it what version of CL or gcc it is using. If you only have one version of CL or gcc installed this is easy, and SCons will do the right thing. If you have more than one version, or want to cross compiler it get more complex.

I tried to start supporting The Intel compiler in SCons, but ended up with only supporting it in my SCons add on called Parts. Hopefully I will get my act together and get stuff in to SCons better go forward. Till that happens I can suggest you ask Gary about how to do this. You can also try the use Part to set up the tool chain instead. It should work fine. If you do this you can say stuff like:

Scons --toolchain=icl_11.1,mstools_10 ...

And this would setup the latest version of Intel Composer 11.1 using 2010 MSVC related tools and headers.

I attached a simple sample with the latest version of the updated documentation I have in the works, and yet to publish. There should be support for MSVC up to 2010 and icl up to 12.1. The 13 version of icc or Composer 2013 is not officially out yet, I will have support for that once it is officially out the door. I will also add VC 2012 support soon as well.
Just in case you want to consider using Parts with SCons as an option.

Jason