[Scons-users] Scala-Support

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Fri Aug 24 12:50:22 EDT 2012

On Fri, 2012-08-24 at 06:28 +0000, Kussmaul, Paul wrote:

> SCons is very interesting building-system and Scala is a very

> interesting programming-language. Both together would be a dream for

> software-developers. Are there any plans to support Scala? Building

> should be very similar to Java. Any ideas?

SCons support for Java is a bit of a "curate's egg", For trivial Java
projects, SCons is fine, but then so is Gradle, Maven or even Ant and
Make. However for anything even a bit tricky SCons has a problem, it's
model of how to manage build products is at odds with the way that the
Java compilers work. My experience of SCala is that the processes are
directly analogous. At various times this has been raised as an issue
but I have never managed to get myself in a position to be able to focus
on it. Currently Greg Ward is having a go at improving what there is,
and is I believe having some success.

A question: The Scala community generally believes there is one and only
one build tool for Scala and that is SBT, is this not a direction for
you? I am yet to be convinced by SBT, but I need to look at 0.12 in case
I need to change my view.

I am not sure what support Maven or Ant (though for me Ant is no longer
a viable build framework) have, but Gradle has excellent support for
Scala. Gradle is also pushing the "can we build C++ with Gradle", so
there is now a bit of competition to SCons in the Java/Scala/JNI/C++
build stakes – which is where SCons did have a USP.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk