[Scons-users] $CCOMSTR?

driscoll at cs.wisc.edu driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Aug 23 22:15:05 EDT 2012

I'd like to replace the compiler invocation lines with something like
Compiling foo.o
Linking foo
(subject to a command line flag, of course). I have memories of $CCOMSTR,
$CXXCOMSTR, $LINKCOMSTR, etc. and other such controlling this output, a la
env = Environment()
env["CCOMSTR"] = "Compiling $TARGET"
env.Program("test.c")

However, I just tried this (2.0 and 2.1, Linux) and the *COMSTR variables
I expected are not there, nor does setting them do anything, nor can I
find alternatives.

Various internet posts such as
http://old.nabble.com/Build-Output-td28193620.html suggest that I am not,
in fact, going insane (at least on this point), so what happened to these?
Were they removed? On purpose or by accident? When? Why? Is there an
alternative?

Evan