[Scons-users] StaticLibrary builder

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Aug 9 09:43:29 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 09:33 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> > On Wed, 2012-08-08 at 13:09 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:

> > […]

> >> Does it work with tools=['default']? (I.e. no additional tools) If

> >> so, your explanation above explains it.

> > Current hypothesis:

> > e = Environment()

> > initializes all findable tools include any in

> > $projectbase/site_scons/site_tools and ~/.scons/site_scons/site_tools

> > e = Environment(tools=['default'])

> > only causes the Tools in the SCons distribution to be initialized.

> > Obvious really :-)

> Ah. Should we fix that?

Not too quickly my sanity now depends on these semantics :-)

The User Story

User trusts that all tools distributed with SCons work as they should.
User also allows for additional tools which are potentially less
trustworthy. User wants to be able to guarantee in some projects that
added extra tools in the user area rather than the project area cannot
interfere unless specifically asked for.

Given this I would suggest the current semantics are exactly the right
ones! (Well now I have twigged to this anyway.)

I guess the issue is whether to treat ~/.scons/site_scons/site_tools in
this way because they are cross project, but to include
$projectbase/site_scons/site_tools as part of the default set. Or maybe
this is what happens.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net