[Scons-users] DefaultEnvironment (was Re: StaticLibrary builder)

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Aug 9 09:37:29 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-09 at 08:46 -0400, Gary Oberbrunner wrote:
[…]

> I noticed this behavior last year (that you can modify what

> DefaultEnvironment() returns, and that becomes "sticky") and

> considered it a bug. It's not the default environment anymore if you

> can modify it, right? (Of course the point is arguable -- you're

> making it *your* default.) But I don't think it's good SCons usage;

> you're depending on undocumented (and untested, AFAIK) behavior.

As far as I know Python doesn't allow any user defined type to be a
value type, i.e. for instances to be immutable. This is perhaps the one
think that will bring the doom of Python in an increasingly parallel
world. <soapbox/>

> I remember when SCons first came out I had the same reaction to

> Import/Export using strings for the names of the envs, but I've gotten

> used to it and it makes sense to me now. I'm not sure how you could

> get all the flexibility of Export/Import without string names.

In Python there is no option since variables are just string keys in a
dictionary. On the other hand it means no need for C style pointers :-)

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
41 Buckmaster Road m: +44 7770 465 077 xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk