[RASEY-DNA] WTY results for #69631, desc/o Joseph RASEY I of MA and NH

Diana Gale Matthiesen DianaGM at dgmweb.net
Mon Oct 31 05:52:30 EDT 2011

Hello List,

It's been some two weeks since I first reported three new SNPs
discovered via the WTY test for RASEY #69631, namely: V218.2 (a.k.a.,
V218), L800, and L801. As more individuals take these tests, their
positions on the Y-DNA Haplotree are becoming more clear, and I have
them to the SNP chart on the project results page (in red):
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/Rasey/RaseyDNA-results.html

V218 appears to be synonymous with P19 and other SNPs defining
Haplogroup I.

L800 appears to be synonymous with M223 And other SNPs defining
subclade I2b1.

L801 appears to be uniting the "Continental" STR clusters of Subclade
I2b1, distinguishing them from other I21b clusters. It thus appears
our RASEY #69631 is the Founder of a new haplogroup subclade.

The clade does not yet appear on the official haplotree, but it does
appear on the Draft Tree:
http://ytree.ftdna.com/

Eventually, it will be assigned a label and appear on the official
trees at FTDNA, ISOGG, and elsewhere.

Our RAZEE #70816 has taken the three new SNPs and is positive for all
three, which would be expected as he is also a member of one of the
Continental I2b1 clusters.

I would like to thank #69631 for cooperating in this endeavor. New,
useful SNPs are hard to find, so the research community is grateful to
have discovered this one. With permission, I quote below a recent
message from the Admin of the Haplogroup I2b1/M223 Project:

<snip>

> Meanwhile, another brand new SNP has also been proving very useful

> in dividing the various Continental subgroups of M223. This SNP was

> named L801 and is also a result of our very successful WTY campaign.

> It was originally found in our WTY participant Rasey, kit # 69631,

> Cont2a subgroup. WTY participant Mendes da Silva (kit# 150778, Roots

> Group 1 - DYS446=8) tested L801- and L800+. WTY participant Games,

> who helped us confirm the L623+, L147.4+ Cont2c subgroup, also

> tested L800+ and L801-. So far, every Cont member of M223 (Cont1,

> Cont2a, etc...) has tested positive for L801. Members outside of the

> Cont subgroups have been testing negative for this new SNP. So if

> you belong to any of the Cont subgroups, you are highly encouraged

> to order this test. Steps to order the L801 SNP test are the same as

> for ordering L812, described above. As a reminder, SNP V218.2 was

> also discovered in the WTY of Rasey, kit # 69631. Consider ordering

> V218 as well.

> As we try to identify the correct position of these new SNP's on the

> Y phylogenetic tree, everyone's cooperation is very important. So if

> you belong to the subgroups mentioned above, again, please consider

> testing for L812, L801 and V218.2.

> I would also like to take a moment and once again thank every

> project member who has helped us in our WTY campaign. Several new

> SNP's have been discovered, which are making it possible for us to

> have a much deeper understanding of the M223 haplogroup.

<snip>

> Best regards,

> Aaron Torres

> I2b1/M223 Project Administrator

A big thanks to #69631, to Aaron, and to others furthering this
research.

Diana Gale Matthiesen
RASEY-DNA Surname Project Admin

P.S. For what these results *mean*, the place to keep up on
Haplogroup I research is this mailing list:
http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/DNA/Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I.
html