[RASEY-DNA] WTY results for #69631, desc/o Joseph RASEY I of MA and NH

Diana Gale Matthiesen DianaGM at dgmweb.net
Sat Oct 15 10:34:25 EDT 2011

Hello List,

Results have returned from the WTY (Walk Through the Y) test for
#69631, the descendant of Joseph RASEY I of MA and NH:
http://dgmweb.net/DNA/Rasey/RaseyDNA-results.html#Deme2

The WTY test (see FTDNA FAQ):
http://www.familytreedna.com/faq/answers/default.aspx?faqid=27

is a search for new SNPs (new branches) on the Y-DNA haplotree:
http://www.familytreedna.com/PDF/2008-HaploChart_GR_lores.pdf

The WTY test only finds a new SNP about 50% of the time, but in this
case, it found three: L800, L801, and V218.2. So far, only L800 and
L801 are available from FTDNA, and I urge anyone who is Haplogroup I,
especially if they are I2b1 (M223+), to take them. In fact, as soon
as the tests became available, people started taking them. The
possible outcomes are:

1. Everyone in an existing clade has them (e.g., I2b1 or I2 or even
I), so they become "redundant" to known SNPs, which makes them of
minimal value to the research community.

2. No one else has them, which means they become "private" SNPs,
useful only to identify this family, which means they are of minimal
value to the research community, though of considerable use to the
family to prove relationship.

3. Some, but not all, of those taking the tests have the newly found
mutation, which means we've discovered a new branch on the Y-DNA
haplotree!

If you do take these tests, please share your results on the
Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I mailing list:
http://lists.rootsweb.ancestry.com/index/other/DNA/Y-DNA-HAPLOGROUP-I.
html

and, if you are Haplogroup I2b1 (M223+), please join the Haplogroup
I2b1/M223 project:
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/M223-Y-Clan/default.aspx

Diana