[RASEY-DNA] new Family Finder test!

Diana Gale Matthiesen DianaGM at dgmweb.net
Thu Apr 22 10:16:01 EDT 2010

Hello List,

I have been sent this offer from FTDNA, to pass on to you:

Before we start our worldwide launch to new customers, we want to allow the
members of your projects to order the Family Finder test during the next 7 days.
Members who place an order during this period will receive first priority. The
Family Finder test is priced at $289, and can be ordered from the menu on the
left side of the personal page.

Please feel free to use our bulk email system to notify your members that the
Family Finder is now available.

While the Y-DNA matches men with a specific paternal line, and the mtDNA finds
potential relatives only along the maternal line, Family Finder can look for
close relationships along all ancestral lines.

You may now match to male and female cousins from any of your family lines
within about five generations. The science uses linked blocks of DNA across the
22 autosomal chromosomes and matches them between two people. Our bioinformatics
team has worked extensively to develop the calculations to determine the
closeness of the relationship.

The possibilities to find matches abound:

Aunts & Uncles, Parents and Grandparents
Half siblings and 1st cousins
2nd, 3rd, and 4th cousins
Possibly 5th cousins. Although that will require some digging!

When you take the Family Finder test, your results are compared against our
Family Finder database. You will be able to:

sort your matches by degree of relationship
view their names and e-mail address for immediate communication
download your raw data

Log in to read more about Family Finder testing and Projects.

Special Note: The Family Finder test requires an untouched vial of DNA. If your
kit does not have an extra vial on file, we will mail a collection kit for a new
DNA extraction. After ordering you will be notified by email whether we are able
to use a stored vial or will be mailing a new collection kit.

I was autosomally tested at 23andMe years ago, so it's going to hurt to cough up
for it, again, but the advantages of being in the FTDNA database make it
worthwhile -- not to mention that it's a lot cheaper, now! One universal
complaint about 23andMe is that, because most people (including moi) got tested
there for medical reasons, these people are just not responding to genealogical
queries from their "matchees." At FTDNA, you will be in a database were
genealogy is the purpose. I also suspect FTDNA's tools for searching and
sharing will be better than those at 23andMe.

Happy testing!

Diana