[IGDA_indies] SIG Focus?

Jason Della Rocca jason at igda.org
Mon Jan 31 10:04:17 EST 2005

>Every local group I start centers around drinking beer at The Stumbling

Thanks, Brandon, for all the input regarding local groups/meetings.

Indeed, the best meetings are those that combine heaving
socializing/networking with some smaller aspect of formal lecture/learning
component.

For example, in Montreal, we usually have 1-hour of formal lecturing on a
hot topic with broad appeal. Then we spend 2-hours+ at the bar schmoozing.
This formula works well, and the Montreal chapter welcomes over 200 folks
per meeting (pro developers, indies, students, hw/sw vendors, etc, etc).

I'll reiterate my point that the IGDA chapter structure is not inherently
anti-indie. Sure, if one chapter has more pros in the area, and those pros
are involved, then the chapter will likely have a more pro flavor.

But, nothing is stopping an indie from getting involved and volunteering
some time to coordinate social/bar events. In Seattle, you could offer to
organize a bi-monthly mixer at a local pub for the chapter... You could
leverage their mailing list and resources, and successful social events
would help the formal learning nights and vice-versa.

Creating a separate "indie chapter" doesn't make sense. And, that brings us
back to our original question of what should an Indie SIG actually do and
focus on?

Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Executive Director
International Game Developers Association

t: +1-514-426-1162
f: +1-514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.realitypanic.com/