[IGDA_indies] A thought on the goal of the indie SIG

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Mon Jul 26 17:42:03 EDT 2004

John Szeder wrote:
> "To move independent content creation from being a marketplace into
being an industry, through helping to educate participants, including
customers, and raising the level of professionalism and quality in
product offerings."

> This opens the definition slightly to encompass activities that may
not be directly related
> to revenue generation.

At the price of being verbose and not so focused.  I don't think that's
what we want in a mission statement.  You may be going in a decent
direction, but it needs work.  In particular:

> "To move independent content creation from being a marketplace into
being an industry,

This begs definitions of 'marketplace' vs. 'industry'.

> raising the level of professionalism and quality in product offerings.

What is defined as 'professionalism' or 'quality' ?  For instance, it
could be construed to mean, "We think indies should offer the same kinds
of products that the mainstream industry does."

Cheers,                         www.indiegamedesign.com

20% of the world is real.